Friday, January 4, 2013

Nine Lives



In the words of George Santayana, there is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval. Life probably gets sweeter with time. I say probably because I don't think I have been around long enough to know. I've spent 9700 days on earth. Life probably gets sweeter with time and I'm guessing this is why witches are believed/said to reincarnate as cats: To live and re-live and re-live and re-live and re-live and re-live and re-live and re-live and re-live. The smart greedy MFers, trying to have their lives and eat it too.

While I believe the Tolkien saying that "not all those who wander are lost," I advise mine own self that I should not try to experience everything in life by myself, firsthand, otherwise I might end up too broken to be fixed. Maybe that's where our nine-lived feline friends have it better than us. I have one, I cannot live it all and so I'll negotiate, compromise where I have to and be vicarious if it's my call. Some roads I need not travel, because many have suffered there, and I am lucky they survived to tell me about it. I will live in the moment. My moments. Yes, I'll take my share and I will enjoy my journey.

“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” 
 Henry David Thoreau.

No comments: