Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Bridge Over Water

I have a thing for bridges.
Cantilevers of steel spanning obstacles.
Obstacles like bodies of water, even though I am naturally inclined to water.

It's not a new thing. I only just realized it when I was on yet another bridge and felt some strange yet familiar attachment.
The Walkway over the Hudson, a steel cantilever bridge spanning the Hudson River between Poughkeepsie and Highland, New York.
Something about the architecture.
And now beyond the architecture, I am more fascinated with their purpose.

I am easily a roamer and I have found a company that fits me. I'm in constant motion. Mind, body. And I thought of this after a job interview. The interviewer asked me, "So are you technical or sales?" She says I have to be one of the two. I say well, I am IT, and IT does not put me in a box with only two options. Matter of fact, I think to myself that if I eventually get an offer from this employer and I accept it, I am going to need a bridge. I want to know if bridges exist in the company. If they don't, I want to know that I can build one. I am both. If you won't let me roam, I don't want to be restrained or constrained to a job role. I find I am tailored for flexibility, and won't put a cap on self development.

I am a creative, easily a freelancer and it is important to me that I enjoy what I do daily and have the option of spicing things up.

No comments: