Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Joneses: Neighbors not Roommates

This Forbes article just changed my life.


That probably flashed a tad too dramatic but yes, changing one’s thinking is ultimately changing one’s life. In a nutshell, it is a story of two friends who decided to start a “buy nothing year” thing and it resonated with me. I started out this week telling myself I would buy nothing, this week. No eating out, not even lunch at my work cafeteria. Well, so far it’s Thursday, and I gave in just once yesterday. But anyway, the message at the heart of the story is simple: You can’t manage what you don’t measure, and I thought it was a great coincidence for me to run into an article when I myself was embarking on a similar venture, howbeit on a smaller scale.


I have decided that I am not leaving room for the Joneses to suddenly creep in on me and subtly take over my finances. I use Mint, and spent a good two hours over the weekend, planning, categorizing, budgeting and partly wondering why the app was not intelligent enough in its time to see patterns and make predictions, saving me the time and stress of manually adjusting the “Uncategorized” transactions. Watson takeover long overdue!


"The outside influences are always pouring in upon us, and we are always obeying their orders and accepting their verdicts. The Smiths like the new play; the Joneses go to see it, and they copy the Smith verdict.” - Mark Twain, Corn Pone Opinions.

1 comment:

TheRustGeek said...

Any how has the minting gone so far?

PS - I find that using my credit card as much as possible - bar direct debits which come out of my checking account - provides a log I can download into excel at the end of the month and play with....