Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Problem with Multitasking

I like depth. I also like to seize opportunities and create some for myself. And this is my problem with multitasking.

"I am a finisher," was my mantra for last month, my response to all the commitments I had lined up, which gradually became a tad too many. So much that I had to reevaluate between activity and productivity. I had to answer to myself on the purpose behind some of these activities. I was multitasking like my life depended on it. I wondered why there was so much crammed into it, but now that I think about it, I get it. Just as it marks the end of a quarter, March is dedicated to Women's history. The month in itself was for superheroes and super powers, and mine came with goals that were partly made up of carry-over commitments (as a result of travel), and crammed with events and to-dos.

While they were all good, well meaning and potentially productive, I had to remember that like (my) time, my mind is a resource, and resources need to be allocated and optimized for yield. I can only spread myself so thin, stretch my mind and attention span in so many directions, before burnout symptoms start to creep in.

Losing sleep, over compensating, under performing and half assed deliveries, over promising, mental absence, physical absence, forgetfulness, disappointment, struggling to catch up, poorly calculated optimism, losing out on me/family time, emotional and physical clutter, high stress and low motivation levels.

Years ago, I read a book that had this quote, "Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it," and it stuck with me ever since. Great message, but my lesson is simple: Prioritize. Protect your calendar, and allow yourself to make a U-turn when needed.

No comments: