Wednesday, November 30, 2016

For the Love of Books

I can't get no, oh, no, no, no, hey, hey, hey / That's what I say / I can't get no satisfaction, I can't get no satisfaction ...

Excited much! Going Rolling Stones on the blog this morning, innit? Went to bed last night without bothering to set an alarm, and just trusted that I'd both get enough sleep and make it up early enough for work.


Boom boom boom! Came a pounding on my front door. I rolled out of bed and went to see who it was. Postal service delivery person, hey now! Might have been a woman, a tad too sleepy too excited to notice. The time was some thirty or so minutes after 7am - conveniently served as my wake up call. My books had arrived!

I was awarded at work early this month (yes boss) and that came with recognition points which could be redeemed for merchandise, entertainment and travel awards. No brighter idea than to grab these three books - two of which had been idling, cooling off in my Amazon cart for a while, and the third I heard about last week when the author (Jane Bryant Quinn) give the keynote at the Athena Awards reception which I was attending.

HOME! Finally! Got me a copy of Toni Morrison's Home. w00t! And then Seneca, Letters from a Stoic. What a rush!

I already know what book I want next. It's one from Bill Gates' list called, How Not To Be Wrong: the power of mathematical thinking authored by Jordan Ellenberg. Bill reviews it on his blog as a book but it’s really about how much math plays into our daily lives without our even knowing it. Sounds lush, doesn't it?

What are my/you readers reading these days?

No comments: