Monday, December 19, 2016

Music Timestamps 2016

Stats have a way of making year endings fun, and nostalgic. Spotify did me the honor of collating my top 100 songs again this year. They did such a fab job in 2015 with personalized stats for categories that showed your very first track of the year, earworm (most played song of the year and how many times you listened to it), total listening time in minutes, hours, days, etc. Seems they failed to keep up this time around, glossed over all the personal detail and just generalized the Year In Music to tell us the top categories across the world. Sad. And when I tried to pull it up from my browser history, it returned this:

{
  "error": {
    "status": 401,
    "message": "No token provided"
  }
}

Anyway, from my top 10 which I've listed below, it was clear that Mr. Eazi was easily my artiste of the year (more of his songs are scattered in the other 90 songs on the playlist).
  1. Forever - Eazzy, Mr Eazi
  2. Aduke - Tjan
  3. Romantic feat. Tiwa Savage - Korede Bello
  4. Anointing (feat. Sarkodie) - Mr. Eazi
  5. Back To Sleep - Chris Brown
  6. Controlla - Drake
  7. Little Bit More - Jidenna
  8. Skin Tight feat. Efya - Mr. Eazi
  9. Pick Up - Adekunle Gold
  10. Can't Stop The Feeling! (Original Song from DreamWorks Animation's "Trolls") - Justin Timberlake





The songs are like landmarks for me. Like timestamps. I could easily relive the moment I first heard each song, where I was, who I was with, and the days after, when I would replay the song heavily for days on end. Some of them I carried over from last year, some I heard while visiting a new city, at concerts, while returning from a trip, and a couple from people's Instagram page. My #1 - I would hear at a friend's wedding sometime in August, love it immediately as I picked up on Eazi's voice, shazam to commit it to the memory of my phone and my mind, and then walk up to the DJ :) 

No comments: