Thursday, January 12, 2017

Got Yourself A...

Woke up this morning, Got Yourself A God.

Started out early to figure out my work, and plan for the day. As I wrote down thoughts, I would ask myself, "What is truth?" and this simple prompting would end up flowing into some quality reflection and Bible study. The beautiful thing was that Scriptures that I hadn't read in a while bubbled up in my mind, tempting me to research, and as I engaged, answers came back. Answers to prior ruminations, like prosperity, which I had pondered on days ago, to which Job 36:11 came up, "If they hear and serve Him, they will end their days in prosperity and their years in pleasure."

Hear? 

Serve I could understand, but hear? Hear what? How should they hear? I didn't really get it, so I prayed one of David's psalms, "Give me understanding that I may live" Ps. 119:144, which usually ties in to "You will make known/reveal the path of life to me; in your presence is abundant joy, in your right hand are eternal pleasures." Ps. 16:11

As I kept reading, understanding did come, and it was on a roll. It rolled through The Beginning (Jn 1:1-5) with rhema about purpose, and closed out with insight from Gen 49, which had a strong message about legacy - the significance of increasing in numbers and why it's joined to blessing. This (latter) chapter is quite a "strange" one that talks about progeny and prophesy, the blessings and curses from a father to his sons. Referring to one of the twelve sons, Joseph, and his prophesied lot in life, the scripture said that "archers bitterly attacked him, shot at him, and harassed him severely, but his bow remained strong ... because of your father's God, who helps you ... who blesses you with blessings of the skies above, blessings of the deep springs below, blessings of the breast and womb." (as I read that last line, I clutched my body parts in awe, lol).

Remarkable. Although not fully sure why I was getting flooded with all this insight or what lessons I was being prepped for, there was no mistaking the fact that deep impressions were made. With the time I had left, I thought for a while about the strong bows analogy and the marvelous help, and then left home. At work, things coasted rather uneventfully until late afternoon when events picked up. The momentum peaked at about 3pm with me receiving two seemingly unrelated messages - one a phone call and the other an instant message from upper management. The call had lasted about an hour, and as I readied for COB, the IM came in, with its own loaded impact. It wasn't until I got back home and processed the separate conversations, that I realized the impact of the messages. And then the scripture popped up again, "but his bow remained strong ... because of your father's God."


I got mine, I hope you got yourself a God.


No comments: