Saturday, January 7, 2017

Intellectuals (should) exercise too

Feels plain weird to start off a new year without typical overarching resolutions and big hairy audacious goals as I would in previous years. The reality is (some of) the things that I need have been in motion for a while now, and I'm looking to keep what I have going for the most part. Having said that, I'm always open and I will take my chances. Everyday, or any day is a fine day to make history or new resolves. Overall, I understand my direction and I'm paying attention to a timing that's not necessarily reset or in lockstep with a new iteration of the Gregorian Calendar.

So what do you want?

To prosper. And I don't mean this by normative standards that associate, equate or even limit prosperity to (an ambition for) material excesses. To truly enjoy a rounded prosperity is to flourish. It's an overarching place where body and soul thrive, which hierarchically is one or more steps up from survival. One of my favorite scriptures says, "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." (3 John:2, King James Version)

What makes the soul thrive?
There's gravity and depths to this. It's subjective, and comes back to knowing oneself and one's purpose. Knowing your work, your "personal legend" if you will, and living it.

And the body?
Better keep that body healthy and stay in shape! Even the Good Book says that "bodily exercise profiteth little*." And as Socrates put it, that “no man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”


Alowo Ma Jaiye.

No comments: