The Equality of Opportunity Project is a research by Profs. Chetty, Hendren, and Katz, whom by these studies make the case that living in good neighborhoods contributes to upward mobility later in life. The project uses big data to identify new pathways to upward mobility.
Below are non-technical summaries of Papers. Full details at equality-of-opportunity.org
- The Fading American Dream: Trends in Absolute Income Mobility Since 1940: PDF
- The Effects of Neighborhoods on Intergenerational Mobility I and II: Childhood Exposure Effects and County-Level Estimates: PDF
- Childhood Environment and Gender Gaps in Adulthood: PDF
- The Effects of Exposure to Better Neighborhoods on Children: New Evidence from the Moving to Opportunity Experiment: PDF
- Is the United States Still a Land of Opportunity? Recent Trends in Intergenerational Mobility: PDF
- Where is the Land of Opportunity? The Geography of Intergenerational Mobility in the United States: PDF